Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Keep Saddam Alive!

Before you jump to conclusions. I haven't lost my marbles and become a liberal or anything crazy like that ;) I am actually in a debate with myself over this one. I really think that Saddam should be hung just as he was sentenced to be. However, today at his trial he urged the Baathist regime and the Iraqis to conceed and reconcile the differences they have and make peace. I think Saddam may have gotten the picture. A man facing death after dishing out for some many years may realize that there isn't anything left to fight for. This may be the one reason to keep him alive. if he is able to have enough pull and strength from prison and his trial to convince the people of Iraq to stop the violence. Do I think that his mindset change over night so i am really unconvinced by one statement that may hold out hope for a future. people don't change that easily or quickly as nice as that would be. I still that there are ulterior motives and possibly evil hiding in that. Do we keep him alive and risk the chance that he escapes or whether his power from prison may be just enough to keep people fighting. One thing plays in my mind. He made so many bad choices even in his trial. Why now? Why not at the beginning of the trial? He had to know that either way it wasn't going to end well for him. He made the trial so difficult. He was many times out of control, including his lawyers and not to mention how many prosecution lawyers were killed during it all. He held on to dear life until the bold face truth that he will be hung is now staring him the face everyday. He now must finish a second trial for genocide and have an increasing fear that he will get the same punishment when he is convicted. So that is my inner debate, even though this man killed so many has he changed enough or willing, powerful, or influential enough to convince people in the middle east to reconcile.

No comments: